Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Our First Two Weeks

Productive is the word that comes to my mind when I think of our first two weeks of school.  In ELA we have learned the strategies that Active Readers use and we've applied those strategies in our own reading.  We have also learned how to write Book Recommendations.  We have shared those recommendations as a class and based on those recommendations individual students have recorded the names of books they will be reading in the future.  We have also written brief essays about our Hopes and Dreams for the school year.  In math we have been learning about place value from the billions down to the millionths.  We read a book called Can you Count to a Googol? by Robert E. Wells.  Then we wrote a Googol.  Ask your child how many zeros the number contains.  In science we have sharpened our observation skills through sketches of shells, rocks and feathers.  We also inferred what was inside a Mystery Tube based on what we could observe when we pulled the strings that were attached to it.

Recently I sent home a letter with my blog address asking for any information you would like to share about your child as a learner.  Please don't hesitate to let me know anything that you think will help me to better help your child to be successful in school.  Some types of things that would be helpful would be letting me know if your son/daughter is a visual, kinesthetic or auditory learner.  I look forward to meeting everyone at Back-to-School Night.  Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment